‘I do like to be beside the seaside’
What comes to mind when you think of the British seaside – sandcastles, kiss me quick hats, beach huts, fish and chips?
However, there are some fantastic corporate event venues in key seaside locations which means you can hold a fabulous event in a different location creating a different feel. You never know the sun may even make an appearance!
Corporate Events (& holidays!) have been mainly UK based in the last couple of years and we have had a chance to experience some of the best locations by the sea that the UK has to offer.
Of course there are many seaside locations around the UK– we are an island after all! For the benefit of this blog we have concentrated on 3 of the most popular locations
We wanted to talk about the destination and what it can offer for a corporate event rather than the venues available.
Brighton is internationally and nationally recognised as a great conference destination combining its seaside location with a vibrant city atmosphere.
Under an hour by rail from London and 30 minutes from London Gatwick Airport, everything in the town is within walking distance. It takes 10 minutes to walk from the station to the seafront hotels, or from Brighton Pier to the British Airways i360 or from the Brighton Centre to the Royal Pavilion.
Brighton offers a choice of 3,4 and 5 star hotels for corporate events offering classic and modern, quirky options alongside sporting venues, a purpose-built conference centre, universities, and even historic buildings.
Did you know?
- Brighton Pier is one of the UK’s most visited tourist attractions with over 6.1 million visitors per year
- The giant glass viewing pod of the British Airways i360 can be hired exclusively for receptions for up to 175 people. The pod is available to book day or night for exclusive rides both during public opening hours, or out of hours.
- When ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974, the event was held at the Brighton Centre.
- Brighton is actually formally known as the city of Brighton and Hove. The towns of Brighton and Hove formed a unitary authority in 1997 and were granted city status by Queen Elizabeth II in 2001 (not all the residents will acknowledge this though!)
- Brighton borders the UK’s newest national park, the South Downs which can be reached just 10 minutes from the City.
- The Brighton Sea Life Centre is the world’s oldest aquarium dating back to 1872.
- During the Second World War, the Germans were not supposed to bomb Brighton because Hitler wanted the Royal Pavilion as his seaside home.
- 8,000,000 people visit Brighton every year with 6,500,000 people visiting on a day trip.
With green open spaces, 7-miles of sandy beaches, great shopping and an eclectic mix of bars, restaurants and entertainment, Bournemouth could be your choice for your corporate event.
The M27 and M3 provide easy access to London and the national motorway network. If you are arriving by air then scheduled and charter flights operate from nearby Bournemouth Airport.
Bournemouth has a varied choice of 3 and 4-star Hotel options many offering sea views within walking distance of the town centre, seafront and main attractions.
The Bournemouth International Centre is the largest purpose-built event venue on the South Coast.
Did you know?
- 7 million people visit Bournemouth every year.
- The 2021 TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards has ranked Bournemouth the 5th best beach in Europe and 20th best in the world.
- Approx 30,000 ice creams are sold on a busy weekend
- Deckchairs hired out on a busy weekend – 3,000
- In the summer the beaches are raked by the tractors every morning and manually litter picked twice a day.
- Bournemouth was the first place in the UK to have purpose-built beach huts in 1909.
Blackpool is a unique seaside resort known worldwide; it has great history and a unique bond with the British public. Famous for its Pleasure Beach, the Illuminations, glitzy ballroom dancing, and fish and chips on the seafront but there is so much more!
Blackpool offers direct train access from London Euston and is also well connected from all the major cities in the UK. The closest airport is Manchester which offers direct train routes into Blackpool.
The Tower Ballroom, Winter Gardens and of course Blackpool pier are all well known iconic venues which can be booked for events.
Blackpool welcomes just over 50,000 event delegates each year and has been a popular destination for events – for over 150 years! The town offers an eclectic mix of attractions, accommodation and venues to suit all budgets and requirements.
There are over 100 venues for your meeting, launch or event; you’ll definitely find a venue in Blackpool to suit your brief and budget.
Due to open this year, the Blackpool Conference and Exhibition Centre is a brand new, purpose built events venue. It is the first major building development to happen since the Opera House in 1930 on the Winter Gardens complex.
Blackpool has received investment in the last 10 years including £500 million of investment in the town’s infrastructure which has encouraged people to visit. This in turn, with the increase of visitors, means that there is a great choice of 3-5 star hotels suitable for conference delegates.
Did you know?
- Blackpool is the only seaside resort with 3 piers.
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the oldest amusement park in Europe.
- Blackpool Illuminations comprise of one million lamps in various types and styles and cost £2.4 million to stage.
- The Illuminations stretches almost six miles from Starr Gate to Bispham, and shines non-stop for 66 days.
- It takes 14 weeks to take down the Blackpool Illuminations lights.
- In September 1977, a famous racing horse switched on the Blackpool Illuminations. Red Rum had just won his third Grand National that April.
- After London, Blackpool is the second most visited place in Britain.
- It takes seven years to paint the whole of Blackpool Tower.
Whether you’re planning a kick-off conference, away day, strategy meeting, residential or social event, why not choose a seaside destination that can offer something a little different to your delegates